Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 10:34:13 EDT
From:      "Tremayne Smith" <tmane333@hotmail.com>
To:        oscars@mail.utexas.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Still having tape drive problems?

Well Oscar,

First thanx for the response, I am pretty new myself.  Yes the OS does find
the tape devices as sa0, in a previous message I stated that whenever I type
a command like mt -f /dev/r or nr sa0 fsf -1 I would get a device not
configured message.  And I recieved a few responses that I shouldn't use
negative file numbers and that I should make sure that my device was loading
at start up or something to that effect.  So I took a look at the boot log
and the device was loaded as sa0 and I tried to give the above command with
a positive file number with no success.  So then I tried to type just a very
generic command of mt status and also mt rewind, and my tape ejects after
issuing those commands.  I am not sure if my environment variable pointing
to the proper device I will check to be sure, but I wanted to let you know
more about my situation so that you'd have more info to base a solution on.
Thanx again.