Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 1997 07:43:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Larry Marso <lsmarso@panix.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Ronald Wright <rjwright@everett.com>, Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
Subject:   Re: Modems

Actually, there is an outright BUG in the boot floppy, such that whatever
serial port you select, when you drop to term you're talking to /dev/cuaa0.
You point to the right solution, Doug.  You need to set device /dev/cuaa?,
where ? = the serial port you want.

Actually, you don't need to move your modem to COM1 or COM2.  I installed
attached to COM3 (/dev/cuaa2).

On 23-Jan-97 Doug White wrote:
>On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Ronald Wright wrote:

>Unless you modify sio1 in UserConfig (-c) to com4's settings, you will
>need to move your modem to COM1 or COM2 for FreeBSD's boot floppy to see
>it.  You can fix it once your rebuild your kernel.
>
>You might try issuing the command 'set device /dev/cuaa1' before dropping
>to 'term' -- ppp has been known to get the wrong serial port.
>
>Doug White                              | University of Oregon
>Internet:  dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu    | Residence Networking Assistant
>http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dwhite    | Computer Science Major

Larry Marso <lsmarso@panix.com>
date: 23-Jan-97