Date:      Sun, 4 Jun 1995 09:10:55 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        temp@temptation.interlog.com (Temptation)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Debug messages

As Temptation wrote:

> Call me stupid, but how the hell do I turn these messages off???
> I've already done  the install, and now I'm getting messages like
>
> Jun 4 02:24:24 main login: ROOT LOGIN (root) on ttyyv1
> Jun 4 02:24:24 main login: ROOT LOGIN (root) on ttyyv1
> Jun 4 02:24:24 main login: login  on ttyyv1 as root
> Jun 4 02:25:40 main login: login  on ttyyv2 as temp
> once is bad enough, but to tell you 3 times the same thing is a bit over
> kill no???

To avoid the login log for each normal user, rebuild your login
program with the -DLOGALL unset in the Makefile.

The remainder is a question of how you're configuring syslog.  The
appropriate line from syslogd.conf is:

*.notice;kern.debug;lpr,auth.info;mail.crit     /var/log/messages

You've got the first one twice, since it matches either *.notice and
auth.info (it's done at auth.notice level).

Lines 3 and 4 are the LOGALL messages, and are done at auth.info level
only.  I'm personally gathering them into a different file, and scan
them every night for security-relevant information.

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/