Date:      Thu, 1 Mar 2001 10:47:39 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Albert Everett <aeverett@webintl.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KERNCONF instead of KERNEL?

--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 12:33:52PM -0600, Albert Everett wrote:
> I'm in the habit (following the handbook) of doing things in a slightly
> different order:
>=20
> make buildworld
> go to single user with "shutdown now"
> make installworld
> mergemaster
> make buildkernel
> make installkernel
> reboot
>=20
> Should this be a problem? I'd rather do the "make buildkernel" along with
> "make buildworld" from a cron'd script if that's ok, to save me time in
> front of the console in single user mode. From below, it sounds like it
> might be ok.

If you get unlucky and end up with a kernel that won't boot, you'll be
sorry you did this.  You are better off installing a new kernel and
rebooting before installing a new world (though there are some gotchas
there as well, they are easier to work around).

> It depends on whether "make buildkernel" uses installed pieces from "make
> installworld".

If you have done a build world those tools and headers are used by
buildkernel, not the installed ones so doing an installworld before a
buildkernel won't help and might trash your system.  A situation where
this was the case happened a while back where a new syscall was added to
the kernel and libc took advantage of it immediatly.  This ment that if
you installed the world before booting the new kernel you ended up with
a compleatly non-functional world.  Even /bin/sh didn't work IIRC.

-- Brooks

--=20

--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o

--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o--