Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 1996 20:10:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Howard Lew <hlew@sequence.Stanford.EDU>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com>
Cc:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Triton II chipsets

On Sat, 24 Aug 1996, Darryl Okahata wrote:

> > FX is Triton, HX is Triton II, isn't VX Triton III ?
>
>      No, VX is just a variant of the Triton II, although some people
> mistakenly call it the "Triton III" (the two chips came out roughly at
> the same time, and so it doesn't make sense to call it "III").

Motherboard manufacturers call it Triton III.  It is the 3rd release of
the Triton chipset, hence the name.

> and is HX faster then VX, if so, why does VX exist ?

We configure and sell both of them here and never noticed any performance
difference between the two.  The primary difference is that most HX boards
support 512MB memory and Parity/ECC memory whereas the VX handles up to
128MB for most boards (I believe there are some 256MB boards too) and does
not support parity memory, but supports the faster SDRAM memory.

The VX exists because it is targeted for a different market.

For a comparison of the chipsets, try:
http://www.intel.com/design/pcisets/

>      It exists to satisfy the el-cheapo clone makers.  Using the VX, you
> can build cheap systems whose video subsystems use the motherboard's
> main RAM as video memory.  Of course, this kills performance, but the
> uninformed masses don't know that ....

Possibly true, but as far as I know there are currently no such video
cards out.  Besides, who would want to fake video memory when video
memory is so cheap nowadays?

----

 -------------------------------> WWW - http://www.shoppersnet.com/shopping