Date:      Wed, 04 Mar 1998 12:50:30 GMT
From:      jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
To:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey), jkh@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Donations.

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998 02:29:31 -0500 (EST), "John S. Dyson"
<dyson@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:

>I would hate to think that someone might believe that they are getting
>much influence even with $500.  If an average FreeBSD kernel developer's
>billing rate is between $25 and $150, the $500 doesn't fund much time.

I understand that, John.  Having individual influence is not the
point.  Having collective influence is.

With a pool of $500,000 to spend, neither Jordan nor core should be
deciding what gets funded.  Funding decisions should be controlled by
the donors themselves, collectively.  And voting is the only way to do
that.

A reasonable billing rate should be standard for all developers who
want the work.  $150 is too high.  $50 - $75 is more reasonable.
Perhaps famous developers should get $75, while others get a little
less.  The opportunity to work directly for the furtherance of FreeBSD
is valuable.  Even famous developers should be willing to compromise
on their rate to obtain the best work that can be had.

--
Browser war over, Mozilla now free.