Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 2000 10:56:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Tobias Fredriksson <c4@worldclass.jolt.nu>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multiple interfaces on same subnet

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Bill Paul wrote:

> > 2 Intel PRO/100+ Dual Port Server Adapter
> > Intel PRO/1000 E Server Adapter
>
> I have a better idea:
>
> 1 Adaptec DuraLAN 62044 Quad Port 64-bit PCI 10/100 adapter
> 1 Netgear GA620 gigabit ethernet adapter
>
> The 62044 card is based on the Adaptec AIC-6915 "Starfire" chip. It's
> a 64-bit device, but it will work in a 32-bit slot if that's all you
> have. There are single port and dual port varieties as well. The only
> bad thing about these cards is that they're fairly expensive. If you
> want to get a cheaper card, try the D-Link DFE-570TX, which is a quad
> port 21143 NIC. It's a 32-bit card though.
>
> As for the Intel PRO/1000, the Netgear GA620 is much cheaper (about

And a better performer. I haven't even been able to get the new LIVENGOOD
chipset to perform bettter.

> $300). It's an OEM'ed Alteon card. There's also a GA620T card if
> you want 1000baseT (gigabit over twisted pair) rather than 1000baseFX
> (gigabit over fiber). The GA620 is also a 64-bit card.
>
> I have another motive for recommending against Intel, which is that
> they're NDA-nazis. There is no publically available programming info
> for either the 82557/8/9 chips or their gigE controllers, and there
> damn well should be. By contrast, both Adaptec and Alteon have plenty
> of documentation available for the 6915 and the Tigon II, respectively.

True enough, but I have to say that I really quite like the programming model
for the Intel chip, which, btw, was originally an Andy Bechtolsheim production
(Granite Systems). Y'all may remember Andy as a founder of Sun.

-matt