Date:      Thu, 13 Sep 2001 00:51:57 +0100
From:      ian j hart <ianjhart@ntlworld.com>
To:        "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, dwcjr@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: samba oplocks (was samba PDC / kernel tuning)

"David W. Chapman Jr." wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 11:57:30PM +0100, ian j hart wrote:
> > [cc: maintainer]
> >
> > FreeBSD 4.4-RC with NIS
> > Samba 2.2.2a_1 (and _2) as PDC
> > Win95B +IE4.02 +DUN1.3 +Y2KDHCP +IE5.5SP2 clients
> >
> > Got the server running okay. Now I'm getting
> > "no response received to oplock break request..."
> > [mostly the logon.bat file]
> >
> > Some of the daemons which suffer this peg the CPU at 98%,
> > which causes all the other processes to slow down. I've had
> > network/system loads of 20+. Race?
> >
> > This goes away if I disable oplocks (no really), but
> > this causes some clients to fail to load the logon.bat
> > file. This is a major problem as all the shares load
> > via 'net use'.
> >
> Have you posted to the samba mailing list on this?

Doing that now.

> They would be better equipped at debugging this although I
> cannot guarantee it will be fixed by friday.  Which oplocks
> are you talking about?

What sorts have you got? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Swat shows this (default):

blocking locks	yes
kernel oplocks	yes
locking		yes
oplocks		yes
level2 oplocks	yes
oplock break wait time	0
oplock contension limit	2
posix locking	yes
strict locking	no
share modes	yes

and veto oplock files

That's a lot of different combinations to try. IIRC I tried blocking
locks off, kernel oplocks off, and oplocks off. Also veto on it's
own I'll try and be more systematic tommorrow.

Thanks for the super quick response.

--
ian j hart