Date:      Sun, 1 Feb 1998 16:05:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      "David E. Cross" <dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD boot banner (securing FreeBSD)

On Sat, 31 Jan 1998, Karl Pielorz wrote:

> Remove the floppy drive? - and secure the case (with a padlock)?...

I am not looking for that level of security; I am mostly just curious.
By the same token, I am hoping that there would be some way of preventing
a person from circumventing FreeBSDs security than just walking up to a
machine with 2 disks.  Sun, with their NVRAM password accomplishes this;
you need to actually open the case (which can also be easily secured), and
without loosing functionality.  The equivalent solution that I can see is
to remove the floppy drive, and that looses the functionality of the
floppy drive from within the program.

--
David Cross
UNIX Systems Administrator