Date:      Sun, 26 Sep 1999 01:41:12 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ``make depend'' fails on latest wine(1) source

On Sat, Sep 25, 1999 at 11:56:24PM +0200, Juergen Lock wrote:
> In article <19990925195136.A394@marder-1> you write:
> >I'm attempting to build wine(1) from the latest (990923) sources.
> >I've sorted the patches but ``make depend'' throws up this error:
> >
> >marder-1# make depend
> >cd ../tools; make 'CC=cc' 'CFLAGS=-O -pipe -Wall' 'OPTIONS=-D_REENTRANT' makedep
> >make: don't know how to make makedep.o. Stop
> >*** Error code 2
> >
> >Stop.
> >
> >Examining the output of ``make -dA depend'' shows this to be the
> >problem:
> >

> >SuffFindDeps (makedep)
> >        No known suffix on makedep. Using .NULL suffix
> >not adding suffix rules
>
> There's the problem:  for some reason they added a line
>
> 	.SUFFIXES:

Ah, I wondered about that line but just assumed that it was benign,
obviously not.

> to their Makefiles (actually Make.rules.in, from where it ends up
> getting copied into every Makefile).  Now you can either add
>
> 	USE_GMAKE=     yes

I thought about that too but all previous versions of wine I have
built with the real make(1).

> in the port Makefile, as thats the make they (linux) appear to be
> using (which seems to interpret this empty .SUFFIXES: as `reset to
> default suffixes' not `forget about all suffixes' as ours does)
> or you can simply disable the line.  Or you can just apply the port
> update i submitted today and build from that, it includes a bunch
> of other fixes you'd also like to have.

GROAN!!

I checked the PR database to see if anyone had already done this
but found nothing. Checking out your PR I see you submitted it less
than an hour after I looked (why can't you work faster ;-) ).

OK, I'll apply your patches. Thanks:)

P.S. Could you possibly e-mail them to me in plain ASCII text? The
last time I saved the HTML page of a PR (with a previous version of
wine as it happens) the patches failed and I had to apply them by
hand. I guess Netscrape screws up the formatting.

Thanks again for the help.

--
STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.