Date:      Tue, 02 May 2000 10:20:06 -0300
From:      Gustavo Pamplona <pamplona@uai.com.br>
To:        Nicolau Werneck <nwerneck@net.em.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sound Blaster 16 istallation

Hey, man....

I know you is a brazillian, so damm it, I will write in English for the
understanding of all members of this list. Think yourself I will write in
Portuguese? ehnnn 8-D

My version of my FreeBSD is 3.2 Release, I think which these features will
are not changed. ( For English readers, sorry for my english )

One Question First: How are the FreeBSD Brazillian Mailing List BSD-L ?.
Are you liking of it ?

First of all: You need to put something like this at your Kernel
Configuration File: For you install the sources of your kernel, place your
distribution CD at your proper Drive, mount the cdrom, search for
/cdrom/src and type something like this:

root@satanic.net.br:/cdrom/src # sh install.sh sys --> This will install
the system source.

After done this, you should see /sys or /usr/src/sys at your root directory.

Go to ./i386/conf, ( I think is it ), Get the GENERIC file, copy it for
another name, like NICOLAU, edit and put something like this.

controller 	snd0=20

**This will enable the snd0 interface**

device		sb0	at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1=20

**Change for your sound blaster values**

device		sbxvi0	at isa? drq 5=20

**the same above - For Sound Blaster 16 is very important this line**

device		sbmidi0	at isa? port 0x330=20

**MIDI, the same above**

#Joystick

device 		joy0	at isa? port 0x200, Case
have a Joystick

After done this, you should compile the kernel, Type these commands:

I can't remember at this point now, So, I think is "config NICOLAU" or
"make conf"
or "make config", This procedure will create a directory under
/usr/src/sys/compile/NICOLAU, move to this directory, After done this.

Note: Read the handbook, it will explain how to compile the Kernel.=20

# make depend
# make install - for install the new kernel.

At this point now, you should be yourself asking , "But, how to do this if
my Sound Blaster be a PnP Card ?".

How I see which your card is a 16 bit card, I think is a ISA Board. Not PCI.

So, you need to put one more line at your Kernel Configuration File:=20

controler pnp0  --> The best way is you put this line before the lines of
your sound blaster.

After done this, compile again. But is necessary to initialize the PnP
interface of your card. So you should have compiled your kernel with
"USERCONFIG" option.

When the booting process start, usually, there are a default time of 10
seconds for you press any key to start the first Boot stage, And so, you
can type at the
this simple command prompt: boot -c

disk1:> boot -c

This procedure will run the Config Program, If the things was compilled
corretcly, you can get the list of PnP interfaces of your system. So you
can type=20

pnp 1 0 enable os port0 0x220 port1 0x330 port2 0x200 irq0 5 drq0 1 drq1 5

But, sadly, when you press the "reset" or "power" button or only
"restarting the system" , this information will be cleared.

So, I think you would not like to type this line every time you start the
system.

So, give a look at /boot/loader/loader.conf ( This can be changed in the
3.3, 3.4 or 4.0. Find one equal , I will buy a 4.0 CD)

###  Basic
configuration options
############################
###############

exec=3D".( Loading /boot/defaults/loader.conf )
cr"

kernel=3D"/kernel"
kernel_options=3D""

userconfig_script_load=3D"YES" -->
In the default file, this is
"NO"
userconfig_script_name=3D"/boot/kernel.conf"
userconfig_script_type=3D"user
config_script"

Create a new file named /boot/kernel.conf and put the same
commands of the Config program in this file.

# Kernel Config File
pnp 1 0 enable os port0 0x220 port1 0x330 port2 0x200 irq0 5 drq0 1 drq1 5

After done everything of this. You can stay satisfied with the results of
this hard job.

Reboot your system and install the ports e/or packages at the
/usr/ports/audio or /cdrom/packages/audio

Regards []'s.

Warning: Portuguese text

Voc=EA mora em BH, devido ao net.em.com.br, Sei l=E1, gostaria de conhecer
outra pessoa que gostasse de FreeBSD tamb=E9m. Vamo marcar um dia, sei l=E1.
S=E3o t=E3o poucos no Brasil.

End of Portuguese text.

At 20:02 29/04/00 -0300, you wrote:
>	Hello...
>
>	I'm trying to install a SB16  board on my 486 (with=20
>FBSD3.4....), but it refuses to work :/      Well, I think the problem=20
>is in the piece between the keyboard and the chair!
>	First, it happeend some conflict between the board and the=20
>disk-controller, and the system hung before boot. So, I plugged the=20
>CD-ROM drive (sony CDU 311) on the SB board. Then, the system=20
>booted, but the SO couldn't find the Cd-ROM drive!! :/
>	I kept on, trying (is this correct? :> ) to play a WAV. I ran the=20
>sh MAKEDEV snd0 command, but the play programm didn't=20
>worked ("/dev/dsr: Device not configured").
>	The reason i'm writing, is because, reading the handbook, it=20
>looks like everithing is automatic, and searching by the freeBSD=20
>site, i couldn't find anything about sound boards... Is there any=20
>configuration i have to do in the kernel????
>
>	thanks...
>
>Nicolau Werneck

   Gustavo Pamplona - pamplona@uai.com.br
Linux User: 137471 - FreeBSD User: FBSD042237=20
  Linux Slackware 7.0 | FreeBSD 3.2 Release