Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 16:26:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        Raymond Hicks <rayhicks@UU.NET>
Cc:        "'Jonathan Fosburgh'" <syjef@mail.mdanderson.org>, "'Gerald T. Freymann'" <freymann@eagle.ca>, "'Questions'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Hacker history file - OUCH

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Raymond Hicks wrote:

> This is not good information..  the best thing to do is NOT to shut down the
> machine.. you may lose vital info if you have in fact been rooted..   you

	Care to explain that?  How would you lose information by halting
the machine?  Halting it freezes the information in place and gives you
chance to do the postmortem analysis with a cleaner slate.  Allowing it to
run (especially multi user) allows lots of disk writes and a chance to
wipe out the information you may need.  Everything I've read says you want
to preserve the evidence as well as possible by halting and preventing
further disk writing.

> should however remove your machine from the network...  and plug it in to
> another blank ethernet hub so as not to fill your logs with interface down
> error messages..
>
> To postmortem a box is a complex process because you can not be sure that
> you have not had any command replacements and rootkits applied to your
> box...  try to check the integrity of your commands and last change date..

	Which seems to me to be another reason to halt the box and mount
the disk on another machine ro for analysis. Then you know you are using
good tools.  But apparently I am missing something, and would be
interested in more details.

					Tim