Date:      Sat, 1 Jul 2000 01:44:25 +1000
From:      "Michael" <enews@michaelvince.com>
To:        <milan@centrum.cz>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: random resets

When I went from 3.4 to 4.0 release I got random resets. It took me a while
to figure out what it was, when I had a reread of the config kernel info in
the handbook I noticed this
# For older non-PCI systems, these are the lines to use:
#device         ata0    at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
#device         ata1    at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
Which is uncommented as most things things are in the generic kernel file.
Since my pc was a K6-2 PCI motherboard (which I had recently upgraded to) I
commented them out did a full recompile and I NEVER had a reset since.
The ones you should be using are
device          ata
device          atadisk                 # ATA disk drives

If you do find this is your problem email me, because I would find it
interesting to know :)