Date:      Sun, 30 Apr 2000 11:30:30 -0700
From:      "Kevin G. Eliuk" <kg@versys.net>
To:        Tom <tjh_1@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPPoE daemon entries ??

Tom wrote:

> OK, in my quest to try to figure out how to make my IFiTL connection work
> with FreeBSD, it uses the PPPoE protocol in windows, I've kept up, as best I
> can with the -RELEASE variants of FreeBSD.

What RELEASE are you currently operating on?

> I am using the chapter in the manual for the basis, and also what applies
> from the good ol' Pedantic PPP Primer for the internal network portion.
> While making the proper adjustments to the /etc/defaults/rc.conf file, I
> noticed the four lines pertaining to PPPoE.  I can't seem to find any
> information on this either in the manual, on the web, or by doing a search
> of the FreeBSD pages.  Can someone give some insight as to what these
> entries do, how to make them work, etc...

You should find information in a section labeled "PPP OVER TCP and UDP
(a.k.a Tunnelling)" in ppp(8) man psge and references explaining PPPoE
(PPP over Ethernet) further on in the man page.

From tht you will have to use ehat information that the service provider
has supplied in order to configure ppp over you configured ethernet
connection.

I found for wou a page that will probably help you with this connection
a little using the address:

http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?sc=on&hl=on&q=%2Bpppoe+%2Bfreebsd&kl=XX&pg=q

and came up with:

http://sympaticousers.org/faq/freebsd_howto.htm