Date:      Thu, 1 Sep 2005 09:36:12 +0200
From:      Heiko Weber <heiko@wecos.de>
To:        freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org
Subject:   amr driver not working in SMP / apic

Hello,

I have a Fujitsu Siemens TX200 S2 (2x Xeon on board) with a LSI MegaRAID
320-0X. I configured a RAID 5 disk array - but the problem dont go away if I
configure no raid (only physical drives).

If I boot GENERIC with "apic" enabled in the kernel the amr driver responses

amr0: adapter is busy

three times, then the system hangs. If I disable "apic" the system boots as
expected, the logical drive could be used for installation. The amr driver
prints two lines about the size of the logical drive instead.

I installed the system in "safe mode", everything works as expected. But if I
enable "apic", the "busy" comes up. I tried building a new SMP kernel, same
as above: using a "one line" empty loader.conf with disabled apic makes the
system running. I tried some combinations of acpi, apic, ata-dma, .... (the
system only has a ata cdrom). No chance, only disabled apic get it up.

I tried FreeBSD 5.4-stable. I also downloaded a (unsupported) driver from LSI
webserver, this prints the size of the logical array, but hangs too. I then
compared the native 5.4 driver with the -current, only one cosmetic changes.
So I expect testing -CURRENT has no effect ?

Is it worth to spend time on this? Is it a bug?

Heiko
--
Heiko Weber : heiko(-at-)wecos.de