Date:      Fri, 22 Oct 1999 20:41:40 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
To:        "HEITMEIER, MICHAEL (HP-Germany,ex1)" <michael_heitmeier@bbn.exch.hp.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mp3 encoding under FreeBSD

> So any tips what applications work well to rip and encode (I used bladeenc
> under Win with good success, does it deliver the same quality under
> FreeBSD?) would be much appreciated.

I dont know much of ripping, tosha works great with my toshiba SCSI, and I
have heard that there are also hardware things to watch, somebody had such
dropouts with w95, but for encoding I would recomend l3enc. Had l3enc for
Dos, IMH0 best soundquality in MY tests, the fastest, and the Linux
version works also without much fiddling in FBSD. If you make an altavista
search for l3enc and linux, it should be a question of maybe 5 minutes to
find the l3enc261 (?) something.tar.etc and the neccesary additional
infos, maybe in indonesia............

Heiko