Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2014 09:44:35 -0400
From:      Brian Kim <briansan24@gmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Setting up a UNIX cluster

Dear friends,

I am currently a teaching assistant for a freshman programming course at
Villanova University. Gloriously enough, we are teaching the C language.
The majority of the students have not had any previous experience in
programming so the extent of their computing knowledge is limited to the
grotesque Windows operating system that they have grown up with. Therefore,
before any discussion of programming begins, I want the students to be
familiarized with the UNIX environment so that they can gcc all their code
and not have to be chained down to IDE's.
In order to accomplish this, I have amassed a number of old Dell computers
that the department has long abandoned and I wish to set up a computer
cluster running FreeBSD. I personally do not have any experience in setting
up clusters and was hoping to request any instructional advice in this
regard.
I have come across this paper (
http://people.freebsd.org/~brooks/papers/bsdcon2003/fbsdcluster.pdf) that
describes the process of setting up a BSD cluster with 300 nodes but I
found the language to be somewhat dense. There is also the fact that I do
not have any specialized hardware other than a bunch of old computers.
Assuming that I have a network switch, could anyone help me out with a
starting point?

Thanks!
--
Best Wishes,