Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 2010 10:25:22 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        n j <nino80@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IPFIREWALL_FORWARD

n j wrote:
> Hello,
>
> although this has probably been asked before, could anyone point me to
> some relevant information about why fwd/forward requires kernel
> recompile, i.e. it's not been made a kernel module? This prevents me
> from using freebsd-update and forces me to upgrade from source which -
> even though we all like and love building from source, ofcourse :) -
> is quite more complicated than the binary upgrade.
>
> Thanks,

because when I first committed it I knew that as it broke some
expected behaviour and added some instructions to the path for
all incoming  and outgoing packets, that if I didn't make it
an option,  I would never be allowed to commit it..

since then the same reasons have continued..
it adds several tests, not all of which are cheap,
to the packet path.

We could make is dependent on some sysctl
or something to take out the most expensive tests..
but we really need to look at the overall picture of 'extensions'
and whether there is a general way to handle them.