Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:56:11 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Marcio Cardenuto Mallavazzi <marcio.mallavazzi@unibanco.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about FreeBSD 5.3

--------------enigBA0631C75CB1FFC49FDFF90D

Marcio Cardenuto Mallavazzi wrote:

> I have a doubt about FreeBSD 5.3. What is it: a Stable or a Release
> version?
> I'm sorry if this is a Dumb Question, but I guess it's a Stable Version.
> Specially because it's a Production Release.

Actually, there are both -RELEASE and -STABLE versions numbered 5.3 at
the moment.

     5.3-RELEASE-p2 is the latest patchlevel on the RELENG_5_3 /Release/
branch.  It's the recommended version version for new installs and
should be suitable for most server tasks.

    5.3-STABLE is a moving target from the RELENG_4 development branch.
  It should run stably and it can be used usefully as a desktop system
or whatever, but tracking -STABLE is not recommended for *absolutely has
to be up 24x7* type applications, because new functionality and support
for new hardware will be introduced, which can result in problems
occasionally.  (In practice this very rarely happens: which is a great
tribute to the degree of care taken by FreeBSD developers).

See:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvs-tags.html

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       8 Dane Court Manor
                                                       School Rd