Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2000 15:26:36 +0100
From:      "M.N.Salous" <salousmn@eee-fs7.bham.ac.uk>
To:        "'questions@FreeBSD.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   ethernet programming

Hi there!
I am interested in setting up an experiment to see how a network of a few
computers would cope with traffic.  What I aim to do is to write a program
that chucks ethernet packets into the network and another to monitor network
traffic.  The computers I am using are all running freeBSD.  I am not sure
how I am supposed to be communicating with the NIC.  Is it just a matter of
writing the packets to the device (i.e. /dev/vq ) and how can I read
packets?  Can you help?  I appreciate it!

Yours
Mounther Salous