Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 1996 02:11:14 +0700
From:      Eka Kelana <park@manado.wasantara.net.id>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help !?!?!?!?!

Hi...

  I tried to make a SLIP connection to my ISP. But after the link got
established, my computer refused to assign the IP address to the sl0 device.
My ISP uses dynamic SLIP, so I do not need to know the IP address which
should be assigned to sl0 before the connection established.

  I used DIP to make SLIP connection with my ISP. I usually invoke #dip -t
to start a DIP session, then I use term command inside DIP to dial my ISP's
remote machine manually.
After the connection has established (indicated by line "CONNECT" followed
by "9600" below it) then I will be prompted "Login:" and I have to enter my
user name and then the password to log into the remote machine.
After logging in, I should invoke SLIP in remote machine to start SLIP
session. The remote machine will then indicate that a SLIP session has been
started by sending line "The assigned IP address is xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx"
followed by "SLIP mode enabled" below it.

  I used another tty or xterm (if I use XWindow system) to invoke slattach
and adding the default route :

#slattach -h -s 9600 /dev/cuaa1 (worked well)
#route add default xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx (---> this is the IP address assigned
by my ISP)

But my sistem confusingly refused to add the route into the routing table by
saying "Host is unreachable". Well, up to this point, I thought that route
command should work well because I have attached the sl0 device to the cuaa1
device, through which the assigned IP address will be sent and be assigned
to sl0 device. Am I right?
But it didn't. I couldn't even "ping" the assigned IP address
(xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx)

Note: I used to use Linux to connect with my ISP, and all command invocation
above worked well.
I have configured the sl0 device in /etc/sysconfig and I just put "up" after
"ifconfig_sl0=" line (becomes ----> ifconfig_sl0="up").

Somebody here please help me ...
I would be very grateful for the help.

Eka Kelana

* I would like to thank Mr. Gary Chrysler (tcg@ime.net) who has helped me to
set up my   PPP. Well it's still not working till now and I've decided to
use SLIP instead.