Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2002 22:02:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        jlemon@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   if_fxp and pause packets (or, "I didn't need the network anyway")

I'm having a recurring problem on a number of machines wherein the fxp
interfaces on those machines will spew out pause packets in vast
quantities while the system is in ddb, or following a shutdown.  This
doesn't happen with other operating systems, and only started happening at
some point in the moderate past on FreeBSD.  Peter Wemm suggested this
might be a result of support introduced for flow control (which I didn't
know existed for ethernet), but no matter what the reason, it's a bit of a
disaster if you have any expectation of using your network segment or
low-end switch while this is going on.  The change is most likely 1.109,
although I haven't built a kernel to test this as yet.  Is there a fix for
this -- for example, disabling support for this feature when in ddb or
after shutting down, or in some other watchdog kind of situation?

Just for reference, the card in the machine I've been having this probelm
with most recently is:

fxp0: <Intel Pro 10/100B/100+ Ethernet> port 0xdd80-0xddbf mem
0xff500000-0xff5fffff,0xff8fe000-0xff8fefff irq 9 at device 1.0 on pci1

However, I'm having it with other related fxp cards.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories