Date:      Fri, 14 Sep 2001 19:32:57 +0100
From:      ian j hart <ianjhart@ntlworld.com>
To:        Thomas Stratmann <thomas.stratmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Removing unused packages?

Thomas Stratmann wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I dumped into the need to remove all packages that are not required by
> any other, excluding some I am willing to keep (on a
> decide-foreach-basis). Is there any tool or option to the pkg_* tools to
> help me with this?
>
> I made this perl script
>
> open(PKGS, "ls /var/db/pkg |");
> while (<PKGS>) {
>         chomp;
>         $files = `ls /var/db/pkg/$_`;
>
>         if (!($files =~ /REQUIRED_BY/g)) {
>                 print;
>                 print "\n";
>         }
> }
>
> which, I hope, dumps me the bottom-leaf packages installed...
> If there is no such tool or option as mentioned above, please let me
> know if there are any problems with the script (I do not go for any
> price in beauty, as you can see...). If it works well, it might then be
> of use to some of you.

pkg_delete -i "*"

This should refuse to delete packages with dependencies even if you
respond yes. Of course I didn't test this :)

I've taken to packaging everything I build from ports. This way
you can just do...

pkg_delete -a

	...then pkg_add from the built copies.

You'll see the advantage if you ever build KDE from ports (18hrs for
me!).

> Cheers
> Thomas Stratmann

HTH