Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2007 16:16:40 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Scott Bennett <bennett@cs.niu.edu>
To:        Tom Judge <tom@tomjudge.com>, Volker <volker@vwsoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: axe(4) and Linksys USB200M question

     On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 09:36:14 +0100 Tom Judge <tom@tomjudge.com> wrote:

>Scott Bennett wrote:
>>
>>      My Dell Inspiron XPS has just one built-in Ethernet port, and I need to
>> have at least one other.  Armed with a printed copy of Section 3.2 of the
>> FreeBSD 6.2 Harware Notes, I went to the several electronics stores, looking
>> to find a device on the list of supported devices.  Eventually, I found and
>> bought two Linksys USB200M Compact USB 2.0 Network Adapters, which are listed
>> in the Hardware Notes as being supported by the axe(4) driver.  Comments in
>> if_axe.c specifically refer to the USB200M as a supported model.
>>      So, thinking I had found what I needed, I hooked one up to a USB port
>> and booted my FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE system.  The kernel did recognize that there
>> was something attached to the USB port, but the device type was not identified,
>> and no driver was associated with it, and therefore no axe0 network interface
>> was created in the kernel.  I've also tried connecting the card while the
>> system was already up and running.  Here's the resulting message in
>> /var/log/messages:
>>
>> Sep  9 20:35:07 hellas kernel: ugen0: vendor 0x13b1 product 0x0018, rev 2.00/0.01, addr 3
>>
>> Disconnecting the device yielded the following messages:
>>
>> Sep  9 20:36:15 hellas kernel: ugen0: at uhub4 port 6 (addr 3) disconnected
>> Sep  9 20:36:15 hellas kernel: All threads purged from ugen0.3
>> Sep  9 20:36:15 hellas kernel: All threads purged from ugen0.2
>> Sep  9 20:36:15 hellas kernel: All threads purged from ugen0.1
>> Sep  9 20:36:15 hellas kernel: All threads purged from ugen0
>> Sep  9 20:36:15 hellas kernel: ugen0: detached
>>
>>      Is the Linksys USB200M supported or not?  What am I missing here?
>

>Try removing the device from the system then running "kldload if_axe"
>and then plugging the device back in.  It should then be detected correctly.

     I hadn't done that because "device axe" is in the kernel configuration
already.  Trying to kldload something that is already compiled into the kernel
usually results in an error message to that effect.

     Then on Mon, 10 Sep 2007 14:48:55 +0200 Volker <volker@vwsoft.com> wrote:

>On 12/23/-58 20:59, Scott Bennett wrote:
>
>> Sep  9 20:35:07 hellas kernel: ugen0: vendor 0x13b1 product 0x0018, rev 2.00/0.01, addr 3
>
>Scott,
>
>you didn't buy a USB200M (AX88172) but a USB200M V2. That thing has a
>slightly different chip (AX88772) and is currently not supported by
>axe(4) (at least not in STABLE, quite unsure for CURRENT). OpenBSD has
>support for the AX88772 chipset.

     Oh.  So now I have another couple of white elephants.  Damn.  And I still
don't have anything that will work as a second interface.  Sigh.
     Thanks for the information.  Do you know whether the AX88772 will be
supported at some point?  I.e., should I hang onto these gadgets or get rid of
them?
     Also, do you have any suggestions for alternatives?  The problem I was
running into was that a lot of the equipment listed in Section 3.2 of the
Hardware Notes seems to be "obsolete" in the sense that it has been
discontinued by the manufacturers and is no longer readily available, which
was why I bought two of the Linksys USB200M devices when I finally came across
them.  The store had already removed even those from the shelves, but hadn't
yet shipped them back.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG