Date:      Sat, 16 Mar 1996 19:50:49 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ok, perl5 is out, but is the menu stuff ok?

Ollivier Robert wrote:
> It seems that Mark Murray said:
> > (I am busy doing the Perl5.002 port right now, so I'll be able to give
> > a breakdown in a couple of hours...)
>
> What do  people have against  a regular port  ? I know we   have a few Perl
> scripts in the tree so we keep the good ol' p4. What do you want everything
> in the _base_ dist ?

Perl 4 is rather aged by all accounts. If all anyone is going to
do when they get FreeBSD is barf and install perl5, is that not an
indication that we should catch up?

I personally have no great strengt of feeling either way. My only
real concern here is the "embarrasment factor". Ie folks saying to
me "you have _that_ old crock in there?"

Personally I use the base perl a lot, but we are going to have to
move sooner or later.  Whats wrong with now?

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200
Finger mark@grondar.za for PGP key