Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2001 09:17:50 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Rohit Grover <rgrover@panasas.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: messed up /etc/rc.conf

In message <01073007591802.01042@tiltill.panasas.com> Rohit Grover writes:
: I made a mistake while modifying my /etc/rc.conf. I forgot to
: put the terminating quote for a string. Now, my machine fails to boot
: correctly. Upon boot, it gives me an option to launch a shell to
: correct the problem. Interestingly, / is mounted as read-only and so
: I cannot correct /etc/rc.conf. Please help.

Your best bet is to boot singlue user, then do fsck -p /; mount -uw /;
mv /etc/rc.conf /etcrc.conf-; reboot; correct the problem; reboot

Or

fsck -p /
mount -uw /
fsck -p /var