Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2001 15:54:50 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Philippe CASIDY <pcasidy@casidy.com>
To:        l.ertl@univie.ac.at, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Cc:        mvojkovich@nvidia.com
Subject:   Re: Inspiron 4100/8100?

On 26 Oct, Lukas Ertl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Dell Austria has currently some nice offers for Inspiron 4100 and 8100
> notebooks, and I'm really thinking about buying one.
>
> My question is: do they work with FreeBSD, and if yes, how do they
> perform? Are the integrated peripherals (IrDA, LAN,...) supported? And
> what about X? (The 4100 has a ATI Mobility Radeon built in, the 8100 a
> nVidia GeForce2 Go; I didn't find a lot about these chips on the XFree
> homepage.)
>
> regards,
> le

I am sorry to advise you to avoid laptops based on nVidia's chipset. X11
driver for GeForce2 Go chip is only available in binary format for
Linux. NVidia do not know if they will ever support BSD in the future.

I am stuck myself with a Dell i8000 with a GeForce2 Go chipset which I
can use only using the VESA driver 1280x1024x24 instead of 1400x1050x32
(I will give a try to the vesa driver from FreeBSD 4.4R).

There was a website with a petition to be sent to Nvidia but it seems to
be dead. There were thousands of people on this petition, I hope it has
be sent to them.

Besides, the laptop works very well under FreeBSD, sounds, network... I
did not try the builtin modem.

Hopes this helps you.

Phil.