Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 17:34:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Sean T. Lamont .." <zeno@serv.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   I/O memory conflict with PCI

Hi there. I have an odd memory conflict I'm trying to resolve.

We've been running our news server for some time on dual adaptec 2940
(narrow) controllers. Aside from that, we have an NE2000-compatible ethernet
on 0x280,5,0xd80000. We had a 2940UW controller that I wanted to dump in
as well, but as soon as there are three controllers on the bus, ed0
complains something about 'unable to zero out memory at d80000', or some
such. Presumably this is a conflict between ahc2 and ed0. (actually, I'm
sure it is, because with 2 controllers the system works, with 3 , ed0
won't work.)

I'm not sure how to resolve this. I don't know where the original drivers
are for the ethernet card, so it's unlikely that I can go tweaking around
with the configuration, and yet it seems impossible to modify where the
adaptec's are placing themselves in terms of the shared memory.

Am I just going to have to get another ethernet card? Advice please.

Sean T. Lamont, President / Chief NetNerd, Abstract Software, Inc. (ServNet)
- Internet access * WWW hosting * TCP/IP * UNIX * Java &  WWW Development -
email: lamont@abstractsoft.com              WWW:  http://www.serv.net
"...There's no moral, it's just a lot of stuff that happens". - H. Simpson