Date:      Sat, 27 Apr 2002 13:14:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      bruno@tinkerbox.org
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   slow audio with CS4235, Cyrix MII-300

I have a tx98-3D motherboard with integrated crystal CS4235 sound chipset.
The audio plays about 25% (by ear...) too slow, with any application.

I think it may be CPU frequency-related, or real-time clock related,
because of these observations:

First thing I noticed is that dmesg shows the cpu detected as this:

Timecounter "i8254"  frequency 1193182 Hz
Timecounter "TSC"  frequency 233865878 Hz
CPU: Cyrix 6x86MX (233.87-MHz
686-class CPU)
  Origin = "CyrixInstead"  Id = 0x601  Stepping = 1  DIR=0x1454
  Features=0x80a135<FPU,DE,TSC,MSR,CX8,PGE,CMOV,MMX>

and audio

pcm0: <CS423x> at port 0x534-0x537,0x388-0x38b,0x220-0x22f irq 5 drq 1,0
on isa0

although the board is set to 300MHz. The CPU is 300MHz. Either letting the
board detect the cpu and setting core voltage, multiplier, bus freq,
etc. , or setting the jumpers manually gives this output from freebsd at
boot time.
The BIOS detects the CPU correctly as 300MHz though, and displays this at
boot time.

Once, I got a message at boot time of (I paraphrase since I have not seen
it again)  RTC: error 20(config)

I tried setting the cpu to different, lower frequencies, but the slow
audio still happens, and the TSC frequency reported is always off by a
factor of about 25%.

Any idea what is really going on here ? Is it a bug of Cyrix CPUs (or
CS4235)? Any way to force detection of the right frequency ?

Any help greatly appreciated...

bruno