Date:      Sat, 03 Dec 2005 22:46:47 +1030
From:      Shane Ambler <Shane@007Marketing.com>
Subject:   Re: Constraining CPU usage

On 3/12/2005 3:14, "Arne Woerner" <arne_woerner@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Nash Nipples <trashy_bumper@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> It seems i cannot get a clear answer wherther it
>> is possible to limit a CPU usage by a user process
>> and should i do that at all.
>>
> Why should somebody want to keep CPU usage of a process below a
> certain value (e. g. 20%)?

Well if your machine isn't smp enabled (specifically pre-HTT) then one
process can slow the server down to a point where your web/databse server
can't get processor time to give a response - effectively making it non
existent for the duration.

Some tasks such as getting awstat to update and create stats pages are not a
priority and can take as long as they need.

(if you can't guess this is a problem I am just starting to look into)