Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 19:12:39 +1000 (EST)
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Making world with gcc-2.8.1

On Fri Jun 12 10:02:20 1998, I wrote:
>I am not aware of any cases where gcc 2.8.1 generates incorrect code.
Actually, I should correct that statement: I don't know of any cases
where using gcc 2.8.1 to compile C generates incorrect code.  There is
a cpp mis-feature that interacts with [g]as to generate incorrect
string constants.

In particular, cpp _does_not_ remove backslash-newline sequences from
string constants (and maybe elsewhere as well).  This causes problems
with the DEVICE_NAMES macro defined in vector.h and used in vector.s.

At this time, I don't know of any way to disable this - the only work-
around is to use a gcc-2.7.x derived cpp (eg the standard cpp).

And, as a side issue, anyone wanting to build shared libraries should
check out the patch that David O'Brien <obrien@NUXI.com> wrote in
gnu.gcc.bug (Message-ID: <19980521141645.A12507@nuxi.com>)

Peter
--