Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 00:15:40 -0700
From:      W Gerald Hicks <jhix@mindspring.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can we use this for the JDK? (was: Motif goes open source)

"Koster, K.J." wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Is there someone on this list who's into the finer points of copyrighting? I
> would like to know what the implications are of this for the
> soon-to-be-coming native FreeBSD JDK port.
>
> In what form is Motif going to be available to the general FreeBSD
> developer? Am I going to find /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/motif anytime soon, or
> is this going to be more complicated than that?

As Poul-Henning Kamp noted earlier we have licenses in the ports tree
that are *much* stranger than this one.  I'd be very surprised if we
don't see an entry in ports/x11-toolkits for Motif sometime soon.

I'd also be very interested in what the "Hungry Programmers" have to say
about this new development.

All in all, I think this was a good day for open-source software.  :-)

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks
jhix@mindspring.com