Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 22:27:17 -0600
From:      Ben Schumacher <ben@henshaw.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   netgraph based MAC authentication

Hello-

I'm working on a project where I need to be able to authenticate people by
their MAC address against a RADIUS server.  While looking into the best way
to develop this, I starting toying around with netgraph and think it is the
perfect framework for what I'm trying to do.  Basically what I'm going to
need to do (AFAIK) is divert the packets coming from one ethernet card
(dc0) to my netgraph node, verify their MAC address, and then push their
packet on its way.  However, I'm still not entirely certain how to
implement this.

The way I envision this, people will power on their machines which will be
connected to my box via an interface (dc0 for right now), then they'll try
to get an address via DHCP.  When their DHCP packet comes, it'll contain
their MAC address which will then be authenticate in my node.  If they
packets are authenticated, they are passed on as normal, and if
authentication fails all further packets from their MAC address will be
discarded.

So my node will hook into 'divert' on my ether card, and then do the
authentication (or compare it to a table of already authenticated/failed
MACs) and then pass or drop the packet.  I guess the part that's stumping
me most right now, is where the node will pass the packets that are allowed.

If anybody can give me any hints as to where I should go with this, it
would be much apprecaited.  I'm sorry if it seems like I repeated myself a
couple times in this email (I feel like I did), but I just wanted to make
sure that I was drawing a complete picture of what I'm trying to do.

Thanks in advance,
- Ben Schumacher