Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:45:26 +1030
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, "Aryeh M. Friedman" <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: idea bouncing: using cvs as a replacement for mergemaster

--nextPart1590209.lBmIjpfN1e

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2007-11-27 22:45, "Aryeh M. Friedman" <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>=20
wrote:
> > I was thinking seeing the fact that I already have a cvs repo of
> > - -current does it make sense to just use CVS to update /etc
> > instead of mergemaster... if so any ideas on doing it cleanly?
>
> It may work, but it doesn't ``scale'' to dozens of machines, and you
> still have to do merging when upstream files (the ones in the FreeBSD
> repository) change.  It's not particularly hard to merge with CVS, if
> you consider the src/etc files of FreeBSD a ``vendor branch'', but
> it's not exactly a fun ride either.

etcmerge does a 3 way merge which makes most updates almost completely=20
painless.. It does need to be taught to special case certain files tho=20
(ie all of the ones derived from others like spwd.db, aliases.db, etc)=20
but apart from that it is very nice.

It is a port - sysutils/etcmerge.
=20
=2D-=20