Date:      Wed, 08 Oct 1997 15:32:17 -0400
From:      Richard Scranton <scrantr@ix.netcom.com>
To:        paul@cgu.ml.org
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Still terminal problems - try MS-Kermit

NCSA telnet appears to be fumbling something during negotiations.

Have your tried MS-Kermit as a telnet client?  The emulations for
vt100 - vt220 are far better than NCSA telnet.  NCSA currently
lists their telnet as "unsupported" while UofW is still providing
bug fixes for their Kermit.  The last version I used was 3.14.  It
was able to run over a packet driver as well as several commercial
TCP/IP stacks.  I was a happy user long enough that I was able to
choke back my distaste for Windows 95 enough to *buy* the Kermit 95
version for when I must use that as a network client.  -rs

	http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/mskermit.html

Excerpts from .../overview.html ---

Network connections include TCP/IP (built-in, with up to six concurrent
sessions),
AT&T StarLAN/StarGROUP, DEC PATHWORKS (LAT and CTERM connections),
NETBIOS,
IBM LANACS, Novell NASI/NACS, Novell LWP TELAPI, 3COM BAPI, Beame &
Whiteside
TCP/IP, Intel OpenNET, Ungermann Bass Net/One, Interconnections TES,
Meridian
Technology SuperLAT, as well as BIOS Interrupt 14 support for
externally-established network connections. TCP/IP connections require a
packet driver (Ethernet or
SLIP class) or an ODI driver, and can coexist with Novell IPX
connections.
NOTE: MS-DOS Kermit is not a Winsock client.

MS-DOS Kermit's terminal emulations include DEC VT320 and VT220
(international models), VT102, VT100, VT52, Data General DASHER D463 and
D470
(and D217 in version 3.15), Wyse-50, Heath/Zenith-19, plus Tektronix
4014 and
Sixel graphics. Terminal emulation features include screen rollback,
capture,
copy, and print; 132-column mode; horizontal scrolling; key mapping and
macros; comprehensive character-set support; a compose key for entering
accented
letters; color text and graphics; much more.

> I still have some problems with my NCSA DOS-telnet and FreeBSD... When
> telnetting to my FreeBSD host, I get two enters when pressing the enter
> button once. I tried to change the key-mappings in the NCSA telnet, but
> that didn't help. What do I have to do, I don't have these problems with
> all other telnets, and also only to FreeBSD hosts, and not to any other
> hosts on the internet (e.g. Linux or SGI)
> I tried to use the termcap of the Linux box, but it didn't help too...
>
> What do I have to do?

Richard Scranton - LDA Systems - Information Management Consulting
scrantr@ix.netcom.com  Columbus Cincinnati Cleveland Toledo Atlanta
<http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8c38c4cf>;