Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 16:37:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>, vallo@matti.ee, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Deadlock with vinum raid5

:I'm not sure that this is the same problem.  Please supply the
:information I ask for in http://www.lemis.com/vinum/how-to-debug.html.
:
:The problem that Søren and I are looking at is usually a panic.  We
:don't really know where it's happening, but we're each sure it's not
:in *our* code :-) From a Vinum standpoint, it happens between the time
:that Vinum sends a request to the driver and when the I/O completes,
:so it's difficult to blame Vinum.  On the other hand, we've seen it
:with SCSI as well, so it's difficult to blame the driver.  I'm half
:guessing that it's something else altogether which is spamming freed
:data.  Vinum mallocs the buffer headers rather than using geteblk(),
:which could explain why it happens only with Vinum.
:
:Greg

    The business about vinum malloc()ing the buffer header has always
    bothered me, maybe we should introduce an 'allocpbuf' call
    (and 'freepbuf') to complement the getpbuf()/relpbuf() routines we
    already have to take this out of the hands of the device driver.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>