Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 11:02:25 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Roman Shterenzon <roman@harmonic.co.il>
Cc:        andrew@ugh.net.au, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rpc.lockd

Roman Shterenzon wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Sep 2000 andrew@ugh.net.au wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, Roman Shterenzon wrote:
> >
> > > But now I find out that there's no locks at all.. I just hope that
> > > nothing got mixed up.. Perhaps the manpage should reflect this ..ghm..
> > > unexpected behaviour?
> >
> > Yeah probably should...perhaps suggest it to -docs. Someone (from
> > something.edu, perhaps rpi.edu) posted a URL to one of the lists of a
> > working but untested rpc.lockd. You might like to try it...if it gets
> > enough testing it should make it in for 4.2 (one hopes).
> >
> > Andrew
> >
> Thanks, I'm ready to give it a try, does anyone the URL?
> I'll search the archives meanwhile.
> (Was it ported from NetBSD?)
>
> --Roman

Look through the freebsd-hackers archive.  There was an rpc.lockd
implementation announced there looking for testers about a month or so
before the 4.0 release.  The person who wrote it is David Cross who is
now a FreeBSD committer I believe.

Thats my recollection anyway.  Unfortunately I haven't seen any recent
followups.  At the time it was deemed too close to the 4.0 release.  If you
do test it maybe you can prod David with the results and get it committed
to -current.

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 5083