Date:      Thu, 01 Mar 2001 10:58:10 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
Cc:        FreeBSD-stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: KERNCONF instead of KERNEL?

> Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 12:43:30 -0600
> From: Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> My method has not failed so far:
>
> make buildworld >& buildworld.log &
> cd /sys/i386/conf && config -r HECUBUS    #While buildworld runs
> cd ../../compile/HECUBUS && make depend all install
> #shutdown and boot to single user, using the old kernel that make
> #install archived.
> mount -a
> make installworld
> mergemaster
> #All done!
>
> This process always goes smoothly for me.

It usually will work OK, but it's not safe and may really bite you one
day. This build will create a kernel from the existing binaries and
not the newly built ones. This assures that the kernel and userland
will be out of sync and, in some cases, this results in minor
annoyances like top(1) not working. In others it may produce a pretty
broken system.

make buildworld
make buildkernel KERNCONF=????
make installkernel KERNCONF=????
reboot to single user
fsck -p
mount -u /
mount -a
cd /usr/src
make installworld
mergemaster
reboot

This is conservative and can be simplified with a low possibility of
failure, but I'd recommend it unless there is a good reason to do
otherwise.

The old kernel build method:
cd /sys/i386/conf && config KERNEL
cd ../../compile/KERNEL && make depend install
should be used only when you
have made a change to your config file and want to build a new kernel,
especially if the /usr/obj tree is not populated. (Since buildkernel
uses the file in /usr/obj, it will only work if /usr/obj is populated.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)