Date:      Sun, 05 Jan 2003 14:06:26 -0800
From:      "Brett Glass" <brettglass@ml1.net>
To:        swear@attbi.com
Cc:        "Brett Glass" <brett@lariat.org>, "Terry Lambert" <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@attbi.com>, "Mike Jeays" <mj001@rogers.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bystander shot by a spam filter.

swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen) writes:

>I seem to remember someone making a good case that the mere public
>availability of the source makes makes those accusations possible and
>that they have some merit (which would make lawyers happy if there were
>more people to threaten and be threatened).  You must convince someone
>that you haven't seen the source and that can be tough.

That's exactly the reason why Microsoft employees cannot look at GPL'd
code. GPL is free as in herpes. That's the reason why I never touch GPL'd
code. But, has the GPL ever been tested successfully in court? Wouldn't
it be funny if it failed to do so and, suddenly, RMS started getting
mails with "IN SOVIET RUSSIA, THE GPL FAILS TO TEST YOU!" in the subject
line?

>ideas, just expressions of ideas, but the courts have already expanded
>it to cover things like "architecture" in source code, etc.  (Not
>"architectural works" (eg, drawings) which the statue includes, but
>"architecture"; i.e., design and ideas, things which should be the
>subject only of patent law, if anything.

In RMS' ideal world, the commu^H^H^H^H^H fsf has a full software
monopoly, and no commercial software exists.

-- Brett Glass
--
  Brett Glass
  brettglass@ml1.net