Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 09:15:31 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Andy <deimos@lewman.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, "Daniel J. Zaccariello" <marisombra@mindspring.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.5 now available . . . . .

Andy wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, Doug Barton wrote:
>
> > > And honestly, I don't have the time to debug
> > > it.  It didn't work, I went back to what worked.  Is that so bad?
> >
> >       Nope, it's your life, spend the time whatever way feels right to you.
> > However, I think most of us would appreciate it if you don't "knock"
> > something you're not willing to put even the smallest amount of effort
> > into improving.
>
>         I was going to let this go, but not now.  My opinion is just one
> data point on a whole range of points about stability.  Just because I
> don't take the time to re-submit the same PR doesn't mean I don't
> help.

	But following up on a PR with data about your experience with the same
problem might just give the developer working on that problem the extra
"data point" they need to solve the problem. It might also help point
out that what was thought to be a small problem is actually a much
larger one. You think this is a small thing, but really I can't
emphasize enough how important this is.

> I've offered to help with many things in the FreeBSD community,
> they just aren't code related.

	Nothing wrong with that either. Over the years I've contributed almost
no C code to the project since usually the need in other areas was
greater.

>         I've learned my lesson, any digression from the norm in BSD land
> is just bad.  God forbid someone raise a flag that everything isn't as
> smooth as is believed.  Next time, I'll just keep my mouth shut.  Jeez.

	I think that you and Daniel are missing my point. There is plenty of
room for people who just want to use FreeBSD. No one is condemning you
for not _solving_ the problem. But we work very hard to make FreeBSD the
best we can, so it's very frustrating to us when someone sits "on the
outside" and says in effect, "I don't have time to do even the smallest
thing to help you make it better, but I do have time to criticize."

	Perhaps you thought I was being sarcastic when I said that it's your
life and you should spend the time however you want to. I wasn't... I
really believe that. Most of my effort on the project has been toward
making it easier for people to "just use" freebsd, so I'm down with that
too. It's the middle ground of "criticize, but don't help" that makes me
nutso, but that's just me.

Doug
--
        "Live free or die"
		- State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire