Date:      Sun, 22 Apr 2001 14:10:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@temphost.dragondata.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/26773: update editors/joe to version 2.9.6

The following reply was made to PR ports/26773; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Kevin Day <toasty@temphost.dragondata.com>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, petef@databits.net
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 16:01:51 -0500 (CDT)

 The reason I've been holding off in submitting something like this is
 because the author/developer of Joe has *Nothing* to do with these latest
 versions of Joe coming out.

 Others have taken the last version of joe that he developed, bumped the
 version number, made a bunch of changes, and are still caling it the same
 joe, with no differentiation that this is a fork of the original package.

 If Joe Allen endorses, or even recognizes these as being official, I have no
 problem with recommending that the newer versions be brought in. But, I do
 have a serious problem with some external group "taking over" a project like
 this without at least somehow marking that this is different than the
 original project.

 As far as I know, nobody has even audited the changes they've made to see
 that they aren't introducing (yet another) hole in this editor... I'd like
 to hold off a bit, regardless...

 -- Kevin
 (Joe maintainer)