Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 09:15:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        mel kravitz <melk@switchpwr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UP1000 install comments

mel kravitz writes:
 > Happy to report i now have a stable Alpha machine running  FreeBSD  with an
 > X session..wonders never cease to amaze me...really my hats off to the
 > FreeBSD team. XF86-3.3.6_4 stock off the install download is stable. I am
 > building several programs simultaneously now while ftp downloading, all
 > appears to be well, the machine has been up for the last 12 hours. Thanks
 > again for your help.
 > -Mel

Glad to hear it.

I'm still concerned about your reboot issues.  If you get a chance,
can you give some details about what sort of output you get when you
reboot and ad0 is not found?  Specificially, I'm interested to know if
it sees atapci0, and if it sees the drive at all, but just cannot talk
to it, etc.

A complete transcript of a failing verbose reboot would be helpeful.
As to how to do this: "shutdown -r now" ... when you see the "booting
kernel in 10..9..8..7..6" break into the bootloader by hitting the
space bar.  then say "boot -v"

Drew