Date:      Fri, 10 Aug 2001 05:10:37 +0200
From:      "Schmalzbauer, Harald" <H.Schmalzbauer@belenus.com>
To:        "'behanna@zbzoom.net'" <behanna@zbzoom.net>
Cc:        "'freebsd-stable@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: bandwidth analysis?

"Chris BeHanna" <behanna@zbzoom.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:<Pine.BSF.4.32.0108091355190.89449-100000@topperwein.dyndns.org>...
> On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Rasputin wrote:
>

> > Hey there folks,
> >
> > I've just been using ZoneAlarm on <shudder> Windows, the
> > one really nifty feature it has it that it can distinguish
> > how much bandwidth is being used by individual applications.
> >
> > Wondered if we had a means of doing the same?
>
>     /usr/ports/net/ntop comes close.  It shows bandwidth usage by
> connection, not by application, but given the port numbers, you may
> be able to figure out what's what.

I cannot recommed the 1.1 port. Just this week I was up to make a router
really logging/tracking traffic and yesterday I succeeded in running
ntop-current (2.0) with mySQL-Support (but not with the included support,
this crashes ntop, instead, with some mods to mySQLserver.pl!). I'm about to
write an article to post it on www.freebsddiary.org, but this could take
some time:-(

Nevertheless, ntop (2.0) seems exactly to fullfill what you want.

Of course Trafshow is great too. But it's not really comparable, especially
if you want to be able to track sessions. On the other hand, dependend on
your throughput, you need a dedicated router to run ntop because
transferrates beginning at 5MBytes/s are consuming the whole CPU (PIII667)
with ntop running and you need at least 64MB RAM for running it with
http-interface. (and throughput of more than 6MBytes/s is not captured
correctly)

Feel free to contact me,

-Harry