Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2001 08:48:35 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Wyatt Banks <banksw@sunyit.edu>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sound card configuration fails in 4.0 RELEASE

Wyatt Banks <banksw@sunyit.edu> types:
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Mike Meyer wrote:
>
> > Wyatt Banks <banksw@sunyit.edu> types:
> > > I installed an AWE64 PnP ISA card in my computer.  My computer is running
> > > Windows 95 and FreeBSD 4.0 Release.  I read the handbook which said to
> > > add:
> > > device pcm
> > > devce sbc
> > Well, at a start I'd say because you don't have an sbc device in your
> > kernel, but that could be a typo in your email. In which case, you may
> > have hid another typo. Does your dmesg output mention either sbc or pcm?
> actually, according to the handbook I do have an sbc device.  It says:

Sorry, I was being cute instead of explicit. The config files you
listed say "devce sbc", *not* "device sbc". The latter adds an sbc
device to your kernel; the former (what you listed in your mail) is an
error. If you cut-n-pasted, then your config is wrong. If you didn't
cut-n-paste, then it's hard to say if there was an error that you
fixed in retyping it.

> Is the handbook completely screwed up?  I followed it exactly.

Well, if it says "devce" instead of "device", yes. In which case, can
you provide the URL so we can get it fixed?

FWIW, my AWE64 ISA card worked on 4.0-RELEASE using pcm & sbc.

Hmm - come to think of it, check the LINT config to see what it says
about the pcm & sbc devices. It may be that what the handbook has -
which is correct for 4.2 - may not be correct for 4.0-R.

	<mike