Date:      Tue, 16 Aug 2005 19:24:41 -0500
From:      Mark Kane <mark@mkproductions.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: After Partitioning a Drive: WARNING - WRITE_DMA UDMA ICRCerror (retrying request)
References:  <3.0.5.32.20050806181109.00f1fda8@mail.farreaches.org>	<104289012.20050806205943@rulez.sk>	<3.0.5.32.20050806135119.00f37a88@mail.farreaches.org>	<104289012.20050806205943@rulez.sk>	<3.0.5.32.20050806181109.00f1fda8@mail.farreaches.org>	<3.0.5.32.20050806212635.00f14fa0@mail.farreaches.org>	<42F79FBB.8070208@mkproductions.org>	<42F7AA29.1000105@mac.com> <42F7C50A.9090707@mkproductions.org> <4300CBD6.2090002@mkproductions.org>

OK. Now I really am at a loss for words. I experienced my first FAILURE
message this morning when trying to fdisk my last newly formatted 160GB
drive. The second fdisk would start to write, my screen would fill with
WRITE_DMA WARNINGS and FAILURES. That was with another drive on the same
controller. I removed that drive, and everything works fine.

I just got another brand new 200GB drive within the last hour. Even it
on the same channel as anything else causes errors upon mount, and
FAILUREs as well. Then I cannot shut down properly because the errors
continue even to the shutdown sequence. Then on the next boot I get
messages about things not being properly dismounted. (First time
happening).

I don't know if it's hardware or FreeBSD anymore. I read this thread on
freebsd-stable earlier today, and then all of a sudden I start getting
all the failures that I never got before:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2005-August/017636.html

So please, anybody...Is this a controller incompatibility with my other
hardware (drives) or a FreeBSD problem?

Up until now I was 98% certain it was hardware in some way, but now I'm
not sure. I have the opportunity to get an Asus board to test, but I'm
not going to shell out money for something if it isn't even a hardware
problem.

Thanks very much.

-Mark