Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 13:37:52 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        John Wilkes <john@wilkes.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, sef@FreeBSD.ORG, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux emulation and dongle on serial port

> > > You might try see what it's doing under linux with trace
> >
> > I finally did this and here is what it says:

It looks like you used kdump.  If this is the case, please repeat the
dump with linux_kdump out of the ports collection, as Linux uses
different syscall numbers.  This is an FAQ, and I'm surprised that
nobody mentioned it before.

> >    329 rbuxid   CALL  recvmsg(0xa)
> >    329 rbuxid   RET   recvmsg 10/0xa
>
> Ok, so I wonder where it's getting a message from?

This is a giveaway; you have definitely used the wrong kdump.

(recvmsg takes three arguments, not one.  recvmsg is syscall #27 under
 FreeBSD, but #27 under Linux is alarm(), which takes one arg.)