Date:      Sat, 7 Jun 1997 02:31:45 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@argus.nuke.net>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gcc -m486, gcc -O2

In reply:
> >> -O2 is sometimes a pessimization.  `-O2 -m486' was suggested in 1994.
> >> It is wronger now.
> >
> >Yes, but in 1994 the kernel was compiled with gcc 2.6.3 or older.
> >Now fbsd uses 2.7.2.1 - is the situation still the same with the
> >newer compiler?
>
> Yes, 2.7.2.1 generates essentially the same i386 code as 2.6.3.

i generally find that

-O2 -m486 -fomit-frame-pointer

generates reasonable code, not using frame pointers saves space and a
little bit of function call overhead, and i recommend it's use in all
except profiling kernels [having a frame pointer might help in
debugging].

i haven't recompiled the source under 2.2.2 yet, but up to 2.1.x i
found that the above optimizations can be safely used on a make world
except for the .o files in /usr/lib [DO NOT ATTEMPT OPTIMIZATIONS ON
THOSE!!!], just copy /usr/lib/*.o to a holding area before the makeing
/usr/lib, then copy them back after...

i would still like to see pentium scheduling and optimizations in the
compiler.  i think i said this two years ago...

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you   | "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid | briefed, debriefed, indexed, or