Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 1999 10:01:46 -0600 (CST)
From:      Gene Harris <zeus@tetronsoftware.com>
To:        Brian Anderson <bunicula@rcn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sound questions

>  any pointers on getting a soundblaster 16 running happily?
>
>  i did what i thought was correct, but get an error at boot telling me that
>  my card neds SBPro support.
>
>  the other questions is about making /dev/dsp: MAKEDEV /dev/dsp fails,
>  saying that there is no such device. is this related to the sound card
>  error, or do i need to manually use mkod for /dev/dsp (and i'm guessing
>  /dev/mixer and /dev/audio?)

I believe all you have to do is MAKDEV /dev/snd0.  A quick
scan of the MAKEDEV script shows that it takes care of all
the other devices for you.  I am using an SBPro with no
problems, and I do get the "SBPro support" message on boot
up.

You might also scan the FreeBSD mailing lists archives for
more complete information on SBPro support.

Gene Harris
http://www.tetronsoftware.com - my admittedly sorry web site
http://defender.tetronsoftware.com - an equally sorry Linux
web site.