Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2002 12:07:11 -0700
From:      Ian <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
To:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Suggestion on natd rc scripts

> Suggestion 1:
> Set natd_interface to nothing by default, and let rc.network
> start natd even if natd_interface isn't set.
>
> Suggestion 2:
> All who dare touch rc.conf should always thoroughly check
> the defaults and the relevant rc.* files or prepare being
> locked out from their computer and suffer terribly ;)
>
> Does any of this make sense to you?
>
> -Richard

I ran into exactly this same situation a couple weeks ago, and was outraged
by the fact that 1) fxp0 was hard-coded in a defaults file, and 2) the rc
files won't start natd without the interface being specified on the command
line.

I'm a big fan of keeping all related parms in the same place.  I'd rather
specify the interface in my natd config file, all I want in rc.conf is
natd_enable=yes and natd_flags set to read my config file.

I therefore heartily endorse suggestion 1.

-- Ian