Date:      Mon, 07 Jan 2002 12:22:18 -0800
From:      Herk <herk@cwnet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   reg user cannot run X server

Hi, freebsd-questions.

As a regular user I can't start the X windowing system.  If I start X as
root, then "su" to
my regular user account, I can't run emacs or mozilla as a regular user.
 In all three cases,
there are error messages relating to access to the X server permission.

I've just installed FreeBSD4.4--initially without X;  I installed X
afterwords, following
the steps in the FreeBSD Handbook.  My regular user has been made a
member of wheel,
as well as dialer and network.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Thanks.
Herk Gibbs